Merry meet all,
Today is New Moon. The New Moon symbolizes new beginnings and that the full moon is returning. Perform this rite to honor the New Moon. You can do this if you are in a coven or if you are a solitary practitioner.
Cast a circle and create your sacred space. If it is possible, perform the circle as sacred. Smudge your circle and use salt and smoke to establish the boundaries of the circle.
The tools you need are a white pillar candle wrapped in a protective black cloth. You will also need a hand-held mirror with silver and white ribbons tied on it if you wish. You can also coat your candle in oil and sprinkle silver glitter on the candle. You will need a small bowl of Blessing Oil handy. If you are short on supply, mix olive oil or water and rosewater together for an oil.
Hold the ceremony at sunset. Face west and watch the sunset. Once the sun dropped down below the horizon, you can see where the new moon is rising. You should be able to see the moon if the night is clear. Hold up the candle and say aloud:
Welcome New Moon! / We honor your return/ The cycle spins and the moon phase waxes and wanes. Thank you for blessing us with your energy!
Place the candle on the altar and light the candle, facing the moon. Say:
Today is a new day and a new month begins.
Warm the Blessing Oil and look in the mirror to see the moon behind you, shining in her glory Anoint yourself and your coven mates with the oil. As you do, say:
May the blessings of the moon be with you.
Grant yourself the blessings of the moon. I like to think that by performing our rituals outdoors, that the moon shines her energy down on our altar tools, and imbues them with the energy. When you are ready, close the circle and cease the ritual. You can perform a healing ritual or another magical workings. Follow this with a Cakes and Ale ceremony.
Lady Spiderwitch )O(
- Full moon: “I’d like to connect more to nature’s cycles”, “What do you do to celebrate the full moon?” (heartshapedhands.co.uk)
- The Last Full Moon of 2013: December 17, 2013 (yogaordinarylife.wordpress.com)
- Moon Dance (livingtheenchantedlife.wordpress.com)
- Cycles of the Moon (rosstru.wordpress.com)
- Moon Festival and a Free Moon Phase Spread For You! (janetboyer.typepad.com)
- A Spell to Win Someone’s Love (thebestlovespell.com)
- New Moon (Practical) Magic (thetarotman.wordpress.com)
- A Ritual to honor the Morrigan + Ancestors at Samhain (heddyjohannesen.wordpress.com)