I am still working on my Book of Shadows binder. I am happy with how it turned out. I love it now that I painted a sealant over the binder covers. It looks beautiful and aged, which is just the way I wanted it. I promise to post a photo soon.
I am so happy that Paranormal Chronicles is publishing my article on my phantom encounter in their next issue. I guess that the encounter paid off. Paranormal Chronicles is a new free digital magazine. The issue launches in mid-Jume. I can’t wait!!! The first issue had 3000 readers. Issue 2 will have surpassed 1000 unique readers in its first week! It’s a way to connect the paranormal enthusiasts all over the world.
The binder wasn’t hard to do. If you have an old unused dusty binder buried in your closet, and want to make it magickal as if it came off the shelves at Hogwarts, this is how you do it. I removed the plastic covering. Then I wiped down the whole binder to clear off the dust bunnies. I removed and set aside all the paper.
I assembled all the supplies I would need. I covered the whole outside of the binder and over all the edges with black tissue paper. I applied three layers of the tissue and lots and lots of glue. I applied the silver glitter stickers to the front of the binder. I let that dry overnight. The key there is to almost overboard with the glue. Set the binder on some newspaper or paper towels. This step gets messy. The front of the binder reads: :Hexes and Spells.” The spine reads Grimoire. I hot glued a spiderweb patch to the front of the binder. I hot glued on tiny black plastic spiders.
When I was sure the glue was dry, I then painted the binder with a few coats of brown acrylic paint. I wanted an aged antique look. The binder looks so cool. The brown paint and the wrinkles of the tissue paper makes the binder look truly worn and old. I glued a brown rectangle-shaped cardboard strip to the front of the binder. I glued them to the spine of the binder. I left the binder to dry and set.
When doing this project, make sure that the tissue paper does fold well over the top, bottom and side edges. This is why you use a few layers of tissue paper. I went over the silver glitter letters with an ochre colored acrylic paint. I painted neatly and painted over the stickers a few times to really define the letters. It looks so cool and the glitter still shows through.
On the back of the binder, I made a square out of cardboard strips I painted brown. I hot glued them on. Then I painted a small square of paper the same gold color as the letters and let it dry. I cut the edges of the paper with special scissors that give the curly edges. I glued the paper to the square and wrote my Craft name and the word grimoire in black ink. That also gives the binder an aged look and feel.
I have to tea stain 500 pages. I have procrastinated on that step. I will do it in batches. So now you all know how to jazz up a binder. I hope you can do the same even if you’re not studying at Hogwarts.